The UK Health and Care Worker visa Application:

UK HealthCare Worker visa consultants

The Health and Care visa was created to provide a fast-track for overseas nationals with medical and care skills to come to the UK to work in an eligible role with the NHS, an NHS supplier, or in the adult care sector. Successful applications can live and work in the UK for a period of five years and extend their visa as many times as they wish. After five years, migrant workers with a Health and Care visa will also have the option to apply for permanent settlement (referred to as indefinite leave to remain). There are considerable advantages of permanent residence, including the ability to switch employers, claim benefits, and there is no requirement to apply for further visas.

Eligibility Criteria

In order to make a successful application for a Health and Care visa, you must:

be a qualified doctor, nurse, health professional or adult social care professionalwork in eligible health or social care jobwork for a UK employer that’s been approved by the Home Officehave a ‘certificate of sponsorship’ from your employer with information about the role you’ve been offered in the UKbe paid a minimum salary – how much depends on the type of work you do only applicants in the following occupations can apply for a Health and Care visa (note the four-digit number is the standard occupation code – SOC):


1181: health services and public health managers and directors

1242: residential, day and domiciliary care managers and proprietors

2112: biological scientists and biochemists

2113: physical scientists

2211: medical practitioners

2212: psychologists

2213: pharmacists

2214: ophthalmic opticians

2215: dental practitioners

2217: medical radiographers

2218: podiatrists

2219: health professionals that are ‘not elsewhere classified’, such as audiologists and occupational health advisers

2221: physiotherapists

2222: occupational therapists

2223: speech and language therapists

2229: therapy professionals that are ‘not elsewhere classified’, such as osteopaths and psychotherapists

2231: nurses

2232: midwives

2442: social workers

3111: laboratory technicians

3213: paramedics

3216: dispensing opticians

3217: pharmaceutical technicians

3218: medical and dental technicians

3219: health associate professionals not elsewhere classified

6141: nursing auxiliaries and assistants

6143: dental nurses

6146: senior care workers

Before applying for your visa, you must already have a job offer and a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) from either the NHS, an organisation providing medical services to the NHS (e.g. a laboratory), or an organisation providing adult social care. Your salary must be at least £20,480 (unless the ‘going-rate’ for your job is more than this).

Other eligibility requirements

In addition to meeting the job offer, occupation and salary criteria, you will also need to prove to the Home Office as part of your application that you satisfy the English language requirement by either:

passing an approved language test for reading, writing, speaking and understanding English to at least level B1 on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) scale.

having a GCSE, A level, Scottish National Qualification level 4 or 5, Scottish Higher or Advanced Higher in English, or;having a degree-level academic qualification that was taught in English.

being from an exempt country.

You will also need to show you have enough money to support yourself while in the UK (£1,270 held in your bank for 28 days), however, this will not be required if you have already been in the country for one year or more on a valid visa. If you do not have sufficient support funds, you may choose to ask your employer to provide a letter of support, which the Home Office will also accept.

How Much Does A UK Health and Safety Visa Cost?

The application fee for a health and care visa is currently set at £232 per person for a visa of up to three years and £464 per person for a visa of more than three years. This amount is reduced by £55 if you are applying from an EU country. There is no requirement to pay the immigration healthcare surcharge (this is normally £624 per person per year), hence a significant saving can be made when compared to applying for a standard Skilled Worker visa.

Given the urgent need for health and care workers in the UK once your application is submitted, you can expect to receive a decision quickly, usually within three weeks. If you need any assistance with your application, perhaps to verify your eligibility or that you have completed the form correctly and provided the necessary evidence, speak to an immigration Solicitor in the UK who will be able to look over your application prior to submission.

Health and Care Visa